|Project by Greg3G||posted 11-17-2007 10:09 PM||1585 views||0 times favorited||13 comments|
Well, after a couple of frustrating things happening. I have completed this foot in mouth project.
After closer inspection and the fact that I would have to patch a section of the top, I ended up sanding down the finish to bear wood. Yes, I know I could have done that with chemical strippers but I chose to sand for a number of reasons: 1st, its not a messy, 2nd, I didn’t want to take the chance the stripper would drip on to any area that I didn’t want to refinish and lastly, it was really just faster and less expensive.
For the toe kick, I filled the chips up to the level of the bottom of the veneer. A couple of them were rather deep. I just sanded them down as well, stained and a couple coats of poly.I also sanded down the face of the doors and the shelves. The one door needed a patch and the scratches on the shelves were just too deep to touch up. Everything went rather well until last night.
When I started to reinstall the glass on the doors, my fat fingers struck again. I angled the nail too steeply and hit the glass. Yep, it broke. I had to go out and get a replacement and the only place open just happened to be the most expensive place in town. Oh well.
All in all, I am pretty pleased with the way it came out. The grain really came out and it looks much better now than it did at the start.
-- Greg - Charles Town, WV