|Project by closetguy||posted 07-28-2010 01:57 AM||3673 views||27 times favorited||17 comments|
The last time I made a batch of Post Office box door banks was about 11 years ago. My wife gives them as gifts and she recently hinted that she was about out of them. A friend of mine, who has been selling these for about 12 years, decided to retire from the craft show business and offered me his inventory. I got a lot of 1902, 1906, and 1920s doors which I have yet to build the boxes for. Each one of the early 1900s have different frame dimensions and require a box unique to a particular series. The 50s-70s Grecians are all interchangeable.
This one is made out of white oak and walnut. The Grecian door is a 1956. I used a Keller dovetail jig to cut the through dovetails. The Keller bits create slivers (like hamster bedding) instead of fine dust. The volume is so large when cutting the dovetails that my dust collector line kept clogging up at the input. I finally just turned it off and let everything fall to the floor, which quickly piled up to my knees. As with all my projects, I finished it with General Finishes Arm-R-Seal satin.
I made up six boxes using the Grecian doors, and on a whim I sent out pictures to my customer email list. One day later, they were all sold. So, I’m cutting out more boxes to take to a show in a couple of weeks to see what happens there. I told my wife that I haven’t got around to making any yet.
-- I don't make mistakes, only design changes....www.dgmwoodworks.com