|Project by DonW||posted 07-26-2010 02:09 AM||1406 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
I call this an “experiment box” because that is exactly what it started out to be; an experiment.
I wanted to try making finger joints. I had purchased a jig that I had never used. I set it up, took some scrap pine out of the wood bin and gave it a try. They turned out fitting pretty well (just don’t look too closely) so I trimmed the boards into dimensions I could use to make a box.
I cut panels for the top and bottom but decided I didn’t want just a flat top. So I tried chamfering the edges of the top. I kind of liked that but the top was till too plain. So I used a pattern by Kathy Wise and segmented a poinsettia into the top panel. A little sanding and some dremel work later, I kind of liked that …
I really wanted a true red for the box so I decided to try a water-based stain that I found at a local woodworking dealer. That turned out pretty nicely so I decided to try some forest green gell stain for the green top. Well, that went …well, so I invested in a little hardware.
Several experiments later … it turned out Ok. Just don’t look too closely …