|Project by mafe||posted 07-24-2010 12:00 AM||1989 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
Actually second mallet, but first on new lathe and not in green wood
I always wanted a little wooden hammer for delicate work, so now was the chance.
So time to try again…
First turning the head and the handle, from some old table legs.
I finished it with sandpaper, antique wax.
Drilling in my center jig, on the drill press (it works).
Cutting a slice in the handle to make a hidden mount with a wedge.
Epoxy glue, and some force to make the wedge tighten, and the handle to get in.
Finished it up with cubana wax.
I’m quite satisfied, it has a good balance, but next time I will spend some time on sharpening the tools…
Here an update:
Since I made some new mallets, this one would be useful as an assembly hammer.
So I glued leather pieces on both ends to make soft hit’s.
You might like to see my ‘Hansen mallet’.
Hope it can be to some inspiration,
-- Mad F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.