|Project by jeff_wenz||posted 07-20-2010 03:19 AM||6237 views||37 times favorited||27 comments|
My wife is pregnant with our first child. I wanted to make a dresser and crib for the nursery. After looking at different designs on the market, we decided on an overall line of furniture from Babies R Us. Of course, we customized the number of drawers and overall size and the finish. I opted for the self closing drawer slides to prevent pinched fingers and waking the baby.
The dresser is made of cherry. Overall size is 57” x 20” x 35”. The top is cherry plywood with 2.5” of solid cherry so I could route in a couple lines of detail. Drawers are made of ½” maple. I tried out Rockler’s drawer lock router bit and really liked it. It seems very solid.
The finish is 2 coats of General Finish’s gel stain = java) followed by 7-8 coats of Deft Brushing Lacquer (satin) sprayed on using a HVLP system (no thinning required). After sanding with 400 grit, I applied a coat of Johnson’s paste wax and buffed it out.
My woodworking buddy, Chad, helped me with turning the feet. Actually, he did most of it. Chad also pointed out (in the design stage) all the wasted space behind the dentil molding. So I decided to build in 2 secret drawers! Some day 7 years down the road, little Deacon may want to hide his baseball cards or money in his secret drawers. We’ll see.
-- Jeff, North Carolina