|Project by ytsejamr||posted 07-19-2010 06:02 PM||3750 views||11 times favorited||11 comments|
I had a 4’ section of a wide curly maple board sitting in my shop for a few years now. This seemed like a good use for some of it.
This is a good sized tray. It’s about 24”x15”.
I was real happy with my freehand inlays this time . . . specifically the lion head. I didn’t have many gaps to fill at all.
They’re hard to see, but there are some hand cut dovetails there.
The finish is a few coats of super blond shellac followed by a bunch of sprayed on coats of Target’s satin lacquer (EM6000).
I had never worked with wenge before either. It’s pretty. I was careful because I read that it splinters easily.
My local lumber guy helped me out a lot with this one. I don’t have a band saw, so he re-sawed the wenge to get me 1/2” thick material, plus the thinner part for the inlay. I also brought the inlays back to him to have him run them through his drum sander. Normally, I send my inlays through the planer to get everything flush. But this one was too wide for my planer, and I didn’t feel like sitting there with a hand sander. I also wanted him to use the drum sander rather than his planer . . . I was nervous the figured maple would tear out.
Enough rambling. I like how this one turned out, and apparently others did too . . . I’m being commissioned to make another one for a Christmas present.