|Project by SPalm||posted 07-17-2010 08:53 PM||11912 views||74 times favorited||54 comments|
This glue-up on this board was tough. By the nature of the design, there is a lot that can go wrong, which I did not realize until the dry glue up. On every row, there are four blocks facing right and four blocks facing left. And on every column, there are three blocks facing up and three blocks facing down. There is an old trick used to set a saw blade to 90 degrees using a double cut of scrap, flipping one, and then facing the parts together to amplify the mis-adjustment. This was a quadruple triple version of that. I thought I had done a really good job of making the blocks perfect squares. Well, I guess they were a little of a parallelogram, and it showed in the glue-up. Arrgh, lots of frustration. The more I clamped, the more little corners would open up. And then all those little interior boxes to keep aligned.
It does look pretty good. I took a zoomed in picture to show the book-matching in the center square. The walnut forms a little diamond and the maple and cherry have their own matching going on.
-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon