|Project by swirlsandburls||posted 07-11-2010 07:52 PM||2654 views||0 times favorited||13 comments|
This was a great looking blank of Red Mallee Burl. I had worked the back of it a long time ago, using Inlace and gold mica powder to fill the burl fissures. I like the effect, but the Inlace material was difficult for me to use. Inlace is great when you need to embed large pieces along with large areas of clear material, but I prefer CA for small inlay work. Anyway, the half-finished bowl sat for over a year because I wasn’t satisfied with my vision for the final piece. I finally got around to working out the inside. I decided to try another shell inlay and to keep on going with the gold fill in the fissures. The shell inlay was very challenging; I wanted the shells to touch (barely) all the way around. So, fitting them into the groove I had cut took several hours. I am not quite satisfied with the appearance of the clear matrix. I will try an epoxy next time around. The piece is 10 1/4”dia by 1 3/4” thick, finished with my tung oil varnish, then buffed with the Beall buffing system. Comments and critiques welcome!
-- patience is a virtue ... in woodworking, cooking, and life in general