|Project by bkhop||posted 07-10-2010 12:57 AM||2314 views||2 times favorited||14 comments|
Been a while since I’ve posted anything, so I figured I’d jump back into the game with my latest project. Took about a full year to get it done, since I only get a couple hours each weekend in the shop. (That and some health problems kept me out of the shop for a while as well.)
Anyway, this is the latest addition to our bedroom set that I’ve been promising my wife for umpteen years. I finished the nightstands a few years ago (see earlier post in “My Projects”.) Next will probably be the bed followed by the final piece, the dressing table/mirror.
Typically you see highboys with the tallboy legs, but the client (my wife) didn’t want it that way. (…And the client is always right!) We did our own drawings/schematics based on other pieces we’ve seen and studied, so it certainly isn’t without precedent.
Primary wood is cherry with curly cherry fronts. Secondary wood is ash (mostly because I have an abundance of it.) All hand-cut dovetails and a good portion of the work was done with handtools. Machine work done primarily on a Shopsmith. All brasses from Horton. Five coats of Waterlox hand rubbed to top it all off.
-- † Hops †