|Project by Doug Wilson||posted 07-09-2010 04:49 AM||6017 views||8 times favorited||9 comments|
Finally complete! Check it out.
8 4×4 PT posts 10 ft long
100 linear ft of 2×2 lumber
16 2×8 PT beams (8 at 16 ft long and 8 at 14 ft long)
32 bolts at 7 inches long (3/8 carriage)
32 nuts for the bolts
8 Post brackets and wedge bolts
8 copper tops for 4×4 posts
5 4×8 sheets of tight PT lattice
Box of square head deck screws
4 pipe clamps
other small clamps
pocket hole set
I purchased all the lumber and then let it dry for a couple weeks in the garage. Lesson learned: I really have to put some weight on PT wood as it dried. I got some crazy bowing and twisting.
I planed and sanded it with 80 grit to get the surface imperfections out. This took a couple weeks. Lesson learned: buy a planer.
I cut the design on the end of each 2×8 with a jig saw and then cleaned it up with a router and straight bit. I made a nice template and it helped move it along. Had to do the process 24 times!
I started to stain some of the wood while in the garage when I had the time.
Next, I reserved a Saturday and got my father-in-law to help me put up the frame. We drilled into the concrete with 1/2 anchor bolts, then put up the 4×4’s with supports. We then started hanging lower level cross beams, clamping them in place while we drilled through and placed 3/8 carriage bolts. I already mentioned that we had crazy bowing, so it took us forever to clamp them down and straighten them before we bolted. Also, working on a ladder for 8 hours hurts your feet! Lesson learned: buy more pipe clamps and a better ladder.
The next weekend we started on the upper level crossbeams. We had to cut out notches for the overlap of the top and bottom beams. I thought I could line them all up and router it out, but that didn’t work at all thanks to the bowing issues. We ended up having to jig saw out 8 notches from all 8 boards. Thanks again to an extra set of hands. After that we hung those beams and got them into place. I finished the top section during the week and then continued staining.
This week, I finished screwing in all the beam that were not bolted and continued staining. It is really starting to come together now.
Okay, several months later. I will briefly recap months of pecking this thing away. I stained all the 2×2 and build the lattice work in between the 4×4’s. I used pocket hole joints to hide the screws. Then I worked on the ceiling lattice. I took the 4×8 sheets and stained them all. That took forever at first using a brush, then I broke down and bought a sprayer. After that, it was done in a couple hours. Once stained it was just a matter of putting it up and nailing them in place. Then I added some hanging ornamental lights to finish it off. I still plan on staining the cement a terracotta red, planting some creeping vines, and adding a couple small decorative elements, but this is good enough to enjoy. Hope you all enjoy it as well.
More photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/douglasheatherwilson/PergolaProject#