|Project by USCJeff||posted 11-12-2007 07:19 AM||2153 views||2 times favorited||10 comments|
This is a project that has been in the works for many months. I started it in April, but it kept getting bumped by other projects as my attention span is brief! I used methods that I haven’t used in the past much for the experience. I used half-blinds for the carcass and miters for the trim. I like the half-blind look on drawer fronts more so than boxes, but I still think they look better than a basic miter. There are a few things that I really liked about it and a few I’ll change the next time. I liked the color Watco Dark Walnut Danish Oil added to the Peruvian Walnut boards. It did a good job of sealing the grain with the first coat or two. I however did not like the paste wax topcoat. I think it gave it more of a plastic look in some lights. It also highlighted the half-blind joinery. I prefer a Poly topcoat that I’ve used in the past over the same finish. The last time I did this type of inlay, I used pine. It was tough to do an intricate pine inlay. The maple used was a little tougher when shaping the parts prone to splitting. I used an CMT inlay bit/guide bushing. I would have built a jig for the quad hinges had I known how tough it is to install them correctly. I also liked the flow of the grain more so than my last go at this design. I used the same board this time and cut the sides in sequence. Outside of the topcoat, I think it was a decent practice project.
-- Jeff, South Carolina