LumberJocks

Restoring water damaged speakers I built

  • Advertise with us
Project by Gary Lucas posted 1510 days ago 2014 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

I built these speakers using 3/4 inch MDF. When I moved, they were stored in the basement. Two days without electricity and no sump pump running, found them setting in 18 inches of water. Fortunately they were setting so both had the woofers in the water. The cabinet was together and sound. However, the MDF on the bottom had swollen. I tried to sand as much as possible, but it was hopeless. I thought that these would make nice speakers for the woodshop, so the appearance of the cabinets were not critical. If you look at the third picture you can see where the MDF was swollen. Since the 3-way crosssover was located behind the woofer, I worried abouit it working. It did! I thought it might because it has no active components, just coils and capacitors. I replaced the 10 inch woofer with a better ( I believe) woofer (Goldwood replaced by Dayton). The midrange and tweeter were above the water level and are OK. I painted the speakers in my shop colors (blue & gray). The front was framed using 1×3 lumber. The grill cloth was fiberglass screen wire I got at a big box store. It protects the speakers from damage, and should allow me to blow sawdust out easily. Upon testing. they sound great. They needed wall mounts. so I built 2 shelves for them and also built a shelf for the receiver (pictures 5 & 6). All speaker drivers were purchased from Parts Express. In the future, I am building all these projects from moisture resistant MDF. Altho, ir probably would not survive unharmed, it does stand up OK to occasional wetting. Great for benchtops.

-- Go create sawdust





1 comment so far

View lew's profile

lew

9992 posts in 2382 days


#1 posted 1509 days ago

Gary,

Not exactly the same thing, but 30 some years ago Hurricane Agnes devastated our area. At the high water mark, we had over 4 feet of water in our basement. My old Panasonic TV (tube type) was completely submerged for several days. One I got it out, it sat in the sun for about a week. Plugged it in and it worked!!!! Even the speaker functioned- but not well. Replaced the speaker and used that TV for many years.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase