|Project by David Kirtley||posted 07-03-2010 03:49 AM||2862 views||0 times favorited||12 comments|
Well, I finally got out the kit and put it together. The assembly was real straight forward.
This is a 1-1/2 in plane blade and a “seconds” body. The stock had a couple pitch pockets in it that mostly got trimmed off anyway so I can’t say that it made much difference. I am not put off by wood that actually looks like real wood instead of some perfect plastic version of wood.
The plane kit in itself is deathly simple to put together:
Line up the pieces of stock and clamp it together leaving one blade thickness between the blocks to form the mouth.
Drill some holes in the corner for 1/4 in dowels.
Draw the outline of the throat on the inside of the cheek pieces to know where not to put the glue.
Apply glue and put it together with the dowels in the corner to align things.
Clamp and wait.
Stick in the cross dowel.
Put the blade in to apply some tension.
Dress up the bottom with a plane (or you could use sandpaper on a flat surface)
Open the mouth a bit to expose the blade.
Trim and shape to taste.
Finish and get busy making stuff.
The only deviation I did from the instructions was to open up the mouth more with a file rather than from flattening as I did get things lined up well enough on the glue up to not need to remove that much from the bottom.
I traced an outline of what I wanted for a shape and cut out on the bandsaw. Then I went at it with a rasp to ease the edges and leave a bit of a non-slip texture on the body. A bit of clear Watco and a beeswax polish to make smell pretty and seal it up.
It was a lot of fun and I will definitely make a couple more.
-- Woodworking shouldn't cost a fortune: http://lowbudgetwoodworker.blogspot.com/