|Project by Woodfix||posted 06-24-2010 11:35 PM||1986 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
I am in the process of making three marking gauges. I started off just making two, one for a pencil and the other for a blade. When I cut up the stock I was left with the exact amounts for 3 bodies and 3 beams. It must of been the big woodworker in the sky working in my favour because the first one was not great, good but not great. This is the first one. It is going to be the pencil marking gauge as you can see.
The is a wear plate imbedded into the body of brass. The rebate for this was cut with a panel saw and then chiselled a little to smooth the bed. The beam is secured using a brass knob. The knob is a solid brass door knob. This turned out to be the most expensive part. The timber was off cuts off my work bench, so effectively cost nothing, the brass was a $12 for a sheet that will last a 100 marking gauges.
The screw on the brass knob was drilled and tapped into it. Then the knob needed some reshaping. This was done with a file and my drill press. Knob spinning, me filing.
The screw passes through a imbedded brass insert (shown in photos). This insert has a thread on the outside that cuts into the hole it is imbedded in. The screw then passes through the middle. This presses against a piston that presses against a plate that holds the beam firm. Without the plate the piston will put indents in the side of the beam.
The timber for this one, is New Guinea Rosewood. A beautiful timber that continually impresses me with its figure and colour. It does have a wavey grain and tear out can be a problem. This is a problem I will remedy on 2 and 3.
In the end I like it. Despite its faults it is very useable and will be.
-- Living is a constant gamble, life is about working the odds in your favour