|Project by swirt||posted 06-24-2010 04:26 AM||4113 views||4 times favorited||13 comments|
This double chaise lounge was two years in the making. The frame was started 6 months before my son was born (nervous energy outlet for me). The slats and incline stops were finished this past month. As you can see my son is now old enough to help me tap some carriage bolts into place.
Wood: It was made with fallen red cedar that I pulled out of the forest, one log at a time on my shoulder. I used a sawmill sled of my own design on my bandsaw to cut the logs into lumber. Most of the logs have been sitting on the forest flor for over a decade.
Joinery: The corners of the frame are joined with half-blind dovetails. The middle joist is connected at the ends with a single dovetail. The legs have a ledge cut in them (like a tenon shoulder) that the frame rests on and is secured with stainless steel screws. The slats sit in a 1” wide x 1/2” deep rabbet that I made with my stanley 78 duplex rabbet plane and are fixed in place with countersunk brass screws. The moving parts for the backrest and the two wooden wheels are held in place by carriage bolts.
Work: I used more electric tools than I wanted to on this project. The only electric tools used were the band saw for all the rip cuts, a cordless drill for the holes (too many to do by hand) and electric sanders. The bandsaw and drill I had planned to use, but the belt sander was unplanned. My intention had been to plane all the slats smooth, however the small cedar logs had lots of knots and crazy squirrely grain that just was not conducive to hand planing (Stanley #4), nor using a scraper plane (Stanley 80) , nor an ordinary card scraper. So I caved in and used a belt sander then a quick touch with a ROS to remove some of the marks left by the belt sander.
Finish: The finish will be three coats of Sikkens Cetol 1. Right now it only has 1 coat on it because the weather has just not cooperated enough to let me get 2 more coats on it. Lots of rain and high humidity. The first coat usually dries in a day and a half … but this time it took 4-5 days. The air is just dripping wet.
-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com