|Project by AaronK||posted 06-19-2010 03:11 PM||4698 views||11 times favorited||15 comments|
Built as a second anniversary gift for my lady – it’s something to put the cotton in.
Mahogany was at least 50 year old reclaimed trim, so it’s full of nail holes – and cracks, which i discovered too late. Cherry is locally grown air dried. cedar is closet lining from the big box. Mahogany is all 3/4” stock, cherry panels are 3/8”, rabbetted to fit in 1/4” grooves. Cedar is 1/4”. Overall dimensions are about 42”x18”x20”. Construction is floating tenons, pinned on the outside with 1/4” cherry dowel, inside with 1/8” dowels that go half-way through so as not to show on the outside. Vertical stiles in the panels are joined to the rails with dowels. top is breadboarded and battened because I noticed it was starting to curve quite a bit. Lumber was finished by hand planing or sanding to 220, several coats of homemade wiping oil-varnish blend, more sanding, and paste wax rubbed in with steel wool.
Lots of firsts for me in this one: glueing up wide panels, breadboarding, bookmatching, frame/panel, and dealing with hinges. It was also my first experience with interlocked grain… it looks nice, but it’s impossible to plane. I hated resorting to sandpaper, but using my standard bench planes there was no other way. I did the bookmatch resawing on the table saw – not too scary, just time consuming! the frame/panel aspect was… something i dont want to do again with curved stiles and panels. yikes, that was an exasperating time. hinges went really well – did the mortises by hand and had no problem with alignment at all.
overall I’m happy with the design. Before I even started I was already bored with a rectilinear design for the panels, and the figure in the cherry seemed to call for its frame to follow it. I ended up with what is to me a nice balance of shaker-like simplicity with a slight contemporary twist. I made an incredible number of mistakes though – e.g. I had originally wanted the top to extend about 2” on each side, but ran into limitations in the stock. also some of the dimensions made assembly at different stages a little difficult – never put a batten in line with a hinge like that – it makes it hard tofit a screwdriver in! but anyway, it’s all done now and I just hope it doesnt fall apart when the first blanket is put inside. This cabinetry type of construction is what I always had in mind that I wanted to do, and it’s satisfying to finally have done it. onward! :-)