|Project by Josh||posted 06-18-2010 05:02 AM||1764 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
just completed this planter box today. It was made from alder and I think pine (all of which was wood that was scavenged out of a furniture shop garbage bin) I know that pine and alder probably aren’t the best choice for dealing with outdoor elements and water and all that but you use what you got.
All the wood started out as square pieces that I ripped in half for the slats and used as is for the corner posts. I rabbeted the horizontal pieces so that I could glue the slats into place. I used mortise and tennon type joinery to glue the sides to the posts. I definitly have a long way to go to get tight/solid mortise and tenons (mine have way way way way too much play in them so don’t look too close at my pictures). I put a false bottom in it about 7 inches from the top and then I put two layers of weed fabric all around the bottom and inner edges to help make sure I don’t lose dirt as plants are watered.
For the finish I put on two coats of tung oil and then once that all dried I put on two coats of spar urithane (which I learned about from ya’ll so thank you very much). Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the outcome, especially since all the wood was free.
-- Josh, South Jordan Utah