|Project by ytsejamr||posted 06-14-2010 02:26 PM||6395 views||7 times favorited||14 comments|
My friends needed a bench for a player piano that they got for free. I designed a fairly simple cherry bench to match the fairly simple style of the piano.
We both found this site that talks about propping up the seat on a player piano to give you better leverage when pedaling. So with help from Sketchup, I came up with bench props that flip up and raise the back of the bench an inch and a half.
I did traditional mortise and tenon for the first time! I used a dado blade for the tenons and used my router for the mortises.
The finish is a couple gel stains (java and red something or other). Seal coat of shellac first of course. Then I sprayed Target Coatings water based lacquer for the first time. After a few coats that were too light, I got the right amount going and I think it turned out ok.
So yeah, it’s a simple design, but it needed to match the piano.