|Project by mrg||posted 06-14-2010 02:53 AM||2651 views||8 times favorited||11 comments|
I am posting my first project here on Lumberjocks and would like to thank everyone who has answered my questions I have asked in the past. I would like to thank Purplev for answering my questions on finishing and also would like to thank A1Jim for the book info on finishing.
Well here it goes. The planters are made out of Cedar and and 4 cps of 16×16 ply for the top of and bottom of the planters. 180 lf of 1×4 S1S2E and 32 lf of 2×2 Cedar S4S. It took me two days to cut everything and is shown in the second picture all cut. The house smelled of cedar for quite a few days. It took me about three days to glue and nail everything together. Sanding took me a couple of evenings to do. After cutting and sanding the first round the dust was just to bad. I bought a fitting to fit my Dewalt sander and shop vac. The third picture is the beginning of the finishing process. Finishing was 4 coats of Spar Varnish waited 1-2 days between coats. First can was separated and needed quite a bit of mixing and took for ever to dry and was sucked up by the wood. Second can was a fresh shipment stirred and flowed real nice.
I learned a lot during this project. Dust collection is a must. (Bought a dust collector). When you think things are straight that they may not be. My jig set was square but my side rails for the benches had bowed ever so slightly and threw out the channel for the benches to set on top of the planters. Fixed with my Dremel multi max and a chisel.
Thats it for now. I may add to these later. Next project is privacy panels.