|Project by RichardH||posted 06-13-2010 02:40 AM||1620 views||2 times favorited||16 comments|
This piece is about 10 inches in diameter. The maple was from my father’s firewood pile, and it had got a little punky if you look closely. I added a very thin walnut rim and then made a small top out of walnut and blackwood for the piece.
I finished it slowly using 100% tung oil. Takes a while, but I usually enjoy this finish after it is all done.
Now, here’s the funny thing – Almost everyone that picks this up from my desk at work thinks the top is attached to the piece. When they go to tilt the piece up, the top falls off. This has happened 3 times this week! I turn some boxes with friction fit lids, and although this one has a nice fit, it is not enough to hold the lid on if it is tilted upside down.
I wonder if it will survive :-)
As always, I enjoy your feedback. Cheers, Richard
-- "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it...It's the hard that makes it great."