|Project by rcs47||posted 06-11-2010 05:53 AM||3270 views||5 times favorited||7 comments|
My Dad started a tradition of making a rocking horse for the grandkids. With the first Great Grandson, he said that was the last rocking horse he was going to make. I said I would take over the tradition.
He gave me his plan – Rocking Horse, Pattern No. 56, Created By U-Bilt, Van Nuys, California.
The pattern includes an elephant head that I already made for the new Great Nephew’s sister, and his brother has the horse (pictures also included). So I had the idea to make a hippo (going with a jungle theme – elephant, hippo. But then there’s the horse). After looking at many different hippos on-line, and laying tracing paper over the horse head for size, I came up with a hippo head with the help of my wife Dee.
The hippo is built using red oak. To get the color, I first used General Finishes, Merlot Water Based Dye, followed by GF American Walnut mixed with Mixol # 24 (Stone Grey). Dee does all the detailed painting (many years of decorative painting. When I used to help her, I would paint something one solid color to save her time, she did any detail work, but I digress). Two clear coats of GF Satin Poly go on before Dee does any painting to seal the wood. I add another three coats after the paint.
The rocking horse is red oak with only clear coats the GF Satin Poly. The elephant is maple (the head is three layers to give the trunk strength) with a Minwax custom mix stain and GF Satin Poly. Again, Dee did all the detailed painting.
-- Doug - As my Dad taught me, you're not a cabinet maker until you can hide your mistakes.