LumberJocks

Turned Victorian molding

  • Advertise with us
Project by jasonborthwick posted 08-05-2017 04:59 AM 450 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

My neighbor mentioned that he could not find exact replacement molding for some rotted molding on his Victorian home. I cut out the section and recreated on the lathe. It was a fun project but difficult to match the existing. I ended up finding advice on here to turn one feature on the pieces at one time then kep rotating them on the lathe. This helped me create the 23,spindles more easily. Also used a story stick for initial measurement as shown in the 2nd pic. The project took about 5 hrs to complete the spindles and rails on a five foot section.

Thanks for looking please provide feedback or questions.





3 comments so far

View cabmaker's profile

cabmaker

1622 posts in 2647 days


#1 posted 08-05-2017 11:05 AM

Looks like your spandrels came out nicely

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

3722 posts in 2104 days


#2 posted 08-05-2017 04:59 PM

Nice work.

Good neighbors do things like that for each other.

-- SAWDUST is THERAPY without a couch! just rjR

View jasonborthwick's profile

jasonborthwick

106 posts in 1477 days


#3 posted 08-06-2017 04:22 AM

Cabmaker thanks that’s the name I couldn’t remember for the write up. It was a fun project but would not want to do a house worth without a duplicator. 23 was enough for me on the first try.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com