|Project by Karson||posted 06-09-2010 12:55 AM||1470 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
Last night I posted the project of the first Red Gum Eucalyptus pen that I turned.
I mentioned the problems with making pens from this wood. I started 3 pens and all three had cracks appear in the pen turnings.
I finished one last night after making a few repairs. I repaired the other two but didn’t finish turning them. Today I finished the other two pens. The repairs on one was the full length of the lower barrel the other one was smaller. Both were on the lower barrel and might have been made because there was less wood to have internal strength to the wood. The upper blanks has more wood and they seemed to come through the turning OK.
Except for one blank. There are six small splits about 1/8” long around the pen. They didn’t appear to me seeing them until after I had put on the finish. But, that is what makes them unique. Made on the slippery edge of the slope, Saying go 1 MM further and I’ll explode in your hand.
The third picture is all three pens.
The second picture shows you the piece of wood and the checking that has started after I cut off a piece. When I cut it there were no splits visible. these all started to appear within a couple of hours.
I cut 7 blanks, I’m going to let the other 4 age some more and see if the cracking and splitting in minimized after further aging. These blanks were 3/4” square. They have been cut to length and have not had the hole drilled in them. I think I’ll drill one and insert the brass tubes and see if there is any difference between it and the other ones.
Lew there is Issue 1 of ShopNotes. It turns out I have two of them.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †