|Project by Karson||posted 1277 days ago||1328 views||0 times favorited||11 comments|
I got a couple of pieces of the Red Gum Euclayptus wood from Ira. When it arrived it was almost dripping water. My moisture meter doesn’t have a scale for Red Gum so I just picked Maple as the one to use. It measured 28 Per Cent.
I unwrapped one piece and the next day it started to crack. So I cut a 3” piece off the side, I figured that I might turn a Pepper Shaker when it dries and from that piece I also cut off some pen blank slices.
I cut 5 pieces 3/4 X 3/4 and 12” long, normally I’d get 10 blanks from the 5 pieces. I stacked them on another pile of blanks and weighted it down with some other wood blocks. I turned on a box fan and blew air on the wood. 1 week later the blanks registered at 13 %, three of them had some major splits the other two didn’t have any visible splits. The splits are visible in picture 4, there was also some major twisting. I only got 7 blanks.
When looking at the blanks there was a lot of shrinkage. The blanks has actually shrunk into a diamond shape. Picture 2 and 3.
When turning three blanks, as I got into the inside I found some internal splits. I don’t know if they were already there or if the occurred from the heat of turning. I thought I heard one crack, but I’m not certain.
I used epoxy and RGE sawdust to fill the cracks. I finished turning this one pen. It had the least damage in preliminary turning.
Very dangerous wood. I think it will take a few years to let it age slowly to get usable pieces.
But very beautiful grain.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware firstname.lastname@example.org †