|Project by Steve||posted 06-07-2010 03:09 PM||2486 views||0 times favorited||13 comments|
Since this is the first time posting a project here on Lumberjocks, it seemed appropriate to upload my first cutting board. I suppose calling it my first would not be entirely honest since my first cutting board is still sitting in a pile of blocks that I picked up from the shop floor after it started falling apart at the tablesaw turning my board into a set of blocky projectiles. :-)
Anyway, I started over with a thicker glue-up and extra clamps and turned this one out. It’s quite small, but just big enough to be useful. My orbital sander probably hates me at this point, but it’s smooth as glass, so I’m happy.
I used walnut oil, which I realize has allergy implications. I decided to use it anyway since this is a small board that will just be in use at my house. I’ll know not to use it when guests are over just in case. I read that walnut oil should dry hard with some sun exposure, but after 2 weeks and multiple times setting it out in the sun I can still rub my finger over it and bring some oil to the surface. It’s pretty minimal now, but I was getting impatient. For the next board I will use mineral oil and see how that works. I know its a much more common finish.
The wood is purpleheart and hard maple. Also, in answer to any questions about the pattern. I have no idea why I ended up ripping the boards and then gluing up the same wood again instead of alternating. My intention was to have a checkered pattern but I just wasn’t thinking while I was doing it. I suppose it’s not an altogether unpleasing pattern.