|Project by Jeff||posted 06-03-2010 03:47 PM||3004 views||8 times favorited||14 comments|
I worked with a discount, solid core door on top of a 2×4 frame for quite a while until I finally felt up to making a real workbench. I did quite a bit of reading first, to choose the style, types of vises etc.. and all that research was worth it. The bench is made from Ash, hardware is from Lee Valley. I had to add the adjustable feet that are kind of ugly because the shop floor is uneven and this seemed like a flexible solution (they could always be removed if I move). The top is held on with a single lag screw at the center of each side assembly. Bread board ends help keep the top flat (although its probably due to be re-flattened now that it has had a few seasons to shift around).
My only disappointment: the tail vise is just not solid enough. This is likely my inability to figure out the best way to mount it, and the surprising lack of instructions that come with the hardware. I am still open to the possibility of tearing it off and completely rebuilding it properly when I have the time.