|Project by David Craig||posted 05-31-2010 02:50 PM||1456 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
I had the opportunity to fix a failed project I attempted over a year ago. I had maple in my yard from a tree that I had cut down a few years ago. This was before my interest in woodworking really bloomed and I, unfortunately, did not know to seal the logs. Most cracked over time, but I had a small log I could put on the lathe and I decided to try my hand at a chalice.
I was able to rough shape it and give it a hollow, but I didn’t have a chuck at the time and so it sat in my basement for over a year. I bought a chuck awhile ago and was able to mount, shape, and correct most of the flaws. Staining was more difficult than I expected. I applied a good deal of pre-stain conditioner but I was a little careless and used a cherry stain that was probably too old for proper use. The pigments settled and I thought I remixed it well enough, but when I first started to apply, it came out as thick as acrylic. I was able to fix it with mineral spirits, sandpaper, and steel wool buffs, but it still came out a little too dark for my taste. I wanted more of the grain to show through and should have used a lighter color.
I sealed it with a minwax satin poly coat. I wanted the gloss kept to minimum because I wanted it to look antiquated. I think I was able to accomplish that much. Overall, I am happy with my first chalice. Some parts I would do differently but that is what experience is all about.
Happy woodworking all,
-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.