|Project by afnid||posted 05-26-2010 08:26 AM||3519 views||7 times favorited||27 comments|
I just finished this yesterday and took these pictures today before dropping this off at the Del Mar Fair. I don’t get to see it again until June 11th when the fair starts, and another month before I can bring it home again. Looking back the pictures show every finger print, speck of dust and odd reflections that show imaginary defects.
This was my final project from my first woodworking class at Palomar College in San Marcos CA. I wanted to do something unique and one thing led to another..
Primary Wood: Bloodwood
Secondary Wood: Spalted Birdseye Maple
Wooden Gears: Baltic Birch
Dial Plates: Aluminum
Arbors: Brass, Mounted With Bearings
Finish: Equal parts Varnish/Mineral Spirits/BLO sanded in.
I made every part of this other than the handmade glass I ordered, the motors, bearings, and electronic components. I did design several electronic circuits and write the control software. I spent a little over 20 hours working with a metal lathe cutting the arbors. I did the clock design with google sketchup and wrote a program to create the gear templates.
I had to complete the movement to make sure the case dimensions were adequate, and then order the hand-made beveled glass, so it made the schedule pretty tight. The last two pictures show the clock with the front door off. The door sits on a cleat on the bottom and secures with a magnet at the top so there is no visible hardware.
The clock is driven by two stepper motors, one for the main dial-train and one for the second hand. There is a false bottom with a hidden shelf that slides out the back to house an Arduino micro-controller for the motors, an Atomic clock receiver, LED lighting and a couple other techie features you will just have to see in person. I did not have time to completely dial in the motor driver and dial train so I submitted it without the electronics and hope to slip the micro-controller in on the first day of the fair.
I built a second clock with the same case design in African Mahogany/Maple but with a smaller size and a production movement that I may post later. It was my backup project in case I ran into a dead-end on this one. Each step was an open question whether it was within my realm of capability .. and I am extremely pleased with the results.