|Project by brianl||posted 1507 days ago||1523 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
While I’m not much of a gardener, my girl is pretty good at it. Unfortunately, the soil around our new house was lacking basically every type of nutrient known to man. I bought a test kit a while back and every single test (Nitrogen, Potassium, etc…) came up as deficient. So, we decided to start composting.
Our garden is on the side of the house and visible from the street so I didn’t want a big pile of compost out there. We looked at some commercially available bins but I wasn’t thrilled with their appearance so I decided to make my own.
It’s very simple construction, four corner posts with some 6” wide planks wrapping the outside. All of the corners are mitered, albeit a little sloppily. There is a 1/4” gap between the boards to allow for air circulation. The top was built using pocket screws.
Doing projects like these feel kind of like cheating on “real” woodworking sometimes. But boy they are refreshing to do. I’ve been working on a set of nightstands for a month and while that is fun, it does take some time. Cranking something like this out in an afternoon is a quick and easy reward.
-- Brian - Belmont, Massachusetts