|Project by velo_tom||posted 05-25-2010 at 07:03 AM||2956 views||2 times favorited||15 comments|
This was a quick utility project made with plywood and biscuit joints. Pocket screws were also used to increase strength because of the weight that the cabinet will have to hold. Also because of the weight we used edge strips to support and stiffen the middle shelf and top instead of veneer to just cover the plywood edge. The bottom is strengthened by the kick.
The edge strips were the only hand work of the project. I squared a left over board from previous work then cut the rabbets down both sides of the board. Cuts were started with a wooden moving fillister plane then finished with a wooden rabbet plane. I ripped the board in half on a table saw to form the two strips.
Rounds were cut on the two strips with an 1/8” radius wooden round profile plane. Fillisters and final length of the strips were cut to size with a Japanese dovetail saw. The fillisters were then cut to a rough depth with paring chisels and finish depth with a shoulder plane. The strips fit tightly between the sides and center stiffening the carcass sides and center board as well as the shelf and top. Once in place the ends were rounded over with a paring chisel then sanded smooth.
The cabinet/table will hold four full batches of home made beer. Each batch is 5 gal. and makes roughly 54 bottles of beer or a little more than two standard cases. The wooden cases inside the cabinet we made from 1/2” plywood and each will hold 27 bottles, half a batch of beer. The finish photo shows a primary fermentor in plastic and a glass secondary fermentor. The folding table next to the cabinet will not be used in this application anymore. Wine will also be fermented on the table top so there are times it will have to support several hundred pounds of wine and beer. It took roughly a week working four to five hours a day to complete.
-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.