This was My first “big people” chair, after practicing Maloof’s locking rabbet joints on the Highchairs I figured I was ready to build something I that I could actually set it. After a week or so of trying different template designs and stock selection and then about 5 more weeks of joining, sculpting and sanding my butt off I was done. I only had to rebuild the seat once : ) I started doing one in Walnut along with this one but I “sculpted” (grinding with 5” and 9” angle grinders) too much in several places so I ended up scraping that one up to experience.
There are several things that I will do differently next time, like spacing the spindles wider and having them curve a little more, but it turned out OK and it’s very comfortable. Just about everyone says it’s the most comfortable rocker they’ve ever set it, so that make me happy.