|Project by Chris Davis||posted 05-21-2010 03:37 PM||5748 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
This is a modification of my Football bed in my Sports theme line. Finishing it up on May 8, 2010, just hitting my deadline. It normally has the goal post and the scoreboard graphics, but on this version I added real footballs on tees on the foot post. This was a customers idea. This customer bought a baseball bed for his son and now wanted a football bed for the other son, but wanted to add his own touch.
Problem: Securing the footballs
With baseballs it is very easy. Drill a hole and insert a lag screw. Footballs are not that easy. Something that is aired up doesn’t like holes in it.
I thought of using epoxy to secure it to the tee and then bolt the tee down, but didn’t think that would hold. The next idea was to drill two holes in the football. One where a mounting bold would go in and another to fill it with that expandable foam. I even did a trial run. Didn’t work. The foam didn’t expand. Must have been the absence of air for the reaction to occur. What I ended up doing is releasing the air, carefully cutting the stitching where I needed the bolt. slide a toggle bolt on some all-thread, sew the stitching back, and air it up. It worked great.
On this one I added the hash marks on the side rails going only to 25, because the field is only 50 yards long.
This bed was built for our local arena football game the Arkansas Diamonds. We have a very good team with a record of 8-2. I believe they are 3rd in their league. Even with this record there is very low attendance. I thought I’d do my part to get some people in the stands. I put it on display at the game on May 8, 2010 and will give it away at their last game June 4th. Up until that time I’ll keep it on display in my showroom and let people enter to win.
-- Watch live video from our shop. http://www.wwbeds.com/#!current-projects/c3c1