|Project by JAGWAH||posted 1302 days ago||3843 views||10 times favorited||21 comments|
I have often seen from time to time pictures of ancient Mancala games. Old rubbed out stones or wood. The look of a Mancala board all worn down from hundreds of hands, time and the dropping of stones has always appealed to me.
While I can’t get that history of use and look into a Mancala board I make, I at least wanted to build one for myself.
This is about the first Mancala I’ve ever built. It’s not about the right way or the perfect way. This is about my process, wandering about my shop and my mind perusing the possibilities and creating a way to eventually build that final, my kinda perfect, Mancala board.
It was a dark and stormy wednesday and I had nothing better to do…
Looking about the shop for something to do it occurred to me it might be time to do a walk-about in the shop building a Mancala. I looked and really didn’t find very many choices for wood. I did have a nice piece of figured Cherry. That would do.
After deciding on the shape which was not difficult I pondered the cup cut outs and thought about turning the cups on the lathe, attaching them to the board.I settled on the idea of making a rossette type cutter. After a bit of mind wandering it occured to me that I had several panel raising bits. The ogee panel raising bit had a bearing I could remove. I drilled a centering hole for each cup the diameter of the panel bits bearing shaft. Rather than using the router it seemed to me chucking this puppy in the drill press might be safer and it worked perfectly.
Now when all the holes had been drilled it seemed the sides of each cup was to sharp and steep. My problem was, how could I route the edges of the cups with no surface for a bearing to guide on? It ocurred to me I might attach a disc the diameter of the cups to the router base with the round over bit at it’s edge. By inserting this into each hole I could spin the router and thus rout the cup edges. But as I was doing this it occured to me to simply attach a centering pin to the router base exactly the radius of the cups. This way worked perfectly. Shavings didn’t get trapped and I could see better what was going on.
The pictures show the process of each task. I made the pivot pin from a 1/4’ bolt. This may be a silly blog post but I thought it might be helpful to some who are new to woodworking and the process. You don’t need a perfect plan when you enter the shop. And the decisions you make may not work but the neurons you stimulate stay lit up and lay back to help you later.
This is just a prototype but like a lot of things I buildthis process typical to my habits. I have a pretty good idea now how I’ll build the final Mancala board although I know there will be a Mancala 2.0 before the final one.
I hope this is the proper place to post this. I wanted it as a blog but then couldn’t seem to post the pics.
-- ~Just A Guy With A Hammer~