|Project by billb||posted 1432 days ago||1201 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
My wife didn’t want the TV visible in the living room except when being watched so we designed a cabinet to house it. She wanted something that matched our colors yet seemed old and worn. I built this unit, distressed it with a chain, ball peen hammer, and an awl and then she painted it. It’s painted a color called Cabin Red. She followed that with an application of some black highlights using a dry brush and finally used a light turquoise color to trim it out.
I made a mistake while building it and I thought that sharing it might be helpful to others. I like concealed euro hinges and decided to use them on this cabinet. I needed the doors to open 180 degrees so they wouldn’t obstruct viewing so I used 170 degree euro hinges. Everything worked and looked fine when I finished except that the TV could not be pulled out because couldn’t get past the bulk of the hinges even when the doors were wide open.
I had to switch to small, black butt hinges to complete the job properly. I am going to plug the holes that I drilled for the euro hinges but I put a little black paint in them so the mistake would be obvious for this picture.
Normally, I would build a cabinet like this with doors that open into the cabinet and out of site. However, because of the size of the TV, the width of the wall, and the depth available because of the fireplace, the cabinet could not be built large enough to accommodate the extra internal space needed for door storage.
-- Bill, Austin, Texas, http://woodworking-business.com