|Project by jayman7||posted 05-13-2010 05:24 AM||7381 views||3 times favorited||4 comments|
I renovated my bathroom and I took the opportunity to make a couple custom fixtures for it.
Since the studs were in non-ideal areas (and I wasn’t about to attach them to drywall alone), I decided to attach the shelves to pieces of plywood that span the studs, and attach those to the studs instead. I used wooden plugs to cover the screw holes. The floating shelf itself is a torsion box design to be strong yet lightweight. I lag bolted, screwed, and epoxied them to the plywood backer. It’s extremely strong and rigid when it was finally attached to the wall.
I wanted an open shelving unit with adjustable shelves so I did just that. Nothing special except that I wanted to try my hand at making lap joints for the face frame.
A light washcoat of shellac, followed by GF dark brown dye, followed by GF java gel stain, followed by a sealer coat of shellac, followed by a few coats of GF arm-r-seal. The goal was to match the espresso finish in the vanity I bought from Lowes and I think I worked well. Since the stain obscured the grain a lot, I basically used a combination of scraps I had (poplar, cherry ply, birch ply) and it all turned out pretty much the same color in the end.