|Project by tyskkvinna||posted 05-11-2010 05:32 PM||1766 views||2 times favorited||17 comments|
This was fun! I’ve been wanting to make clocks for some time and have attempted a couple of them – but sometimes mathematics and I don’t get along and things fail at awkward moments.
For whatever reason yesterday I decided to “just do it” and to motivate myself MORE about it, I did the decorative part and finishing before cutting the fitting for the clock! Maybe I work best under stress. Hah.
It’s about 8.5” square, and .78” thick. Started out as 4/4 but there was a bit of a chunk missing so I just planed it until you couldn’t notice. A little nerve-wracking since the clock fitting piece is .612” but the wood seems sturdy in the centre and it isn’t like this is a piece that is going to see a lot of abuse/weight/etc.
I had a little bit of a blow-out when I drilled out the hole in the centre which caused me to freak out slightly but then in the clock assembly I realised the little gasket type pieces covered it up. Awesomesauce.
On the wood, I filled it all in with black enamel and then sanded it off. (After I engraved it) I REALLY love how this looks and it may convince me to bust out more of my walnut and actually make things with it. (I’ve been kind of hoarding it, waiting for when I feel I’m “good enough” to do things with it)
Originally I coated with a semi-gloss but decided that looked awful so I sanded it again with 220 and put satin on it. Much better! Couple more coats of satin/sanding and you can’t feel the grain to the touch.
Had considered doing something to the corners/edges but ultimately decided I like it simple. The edges are also painted with the black enamel.
No customer in mind yet – I just made it to make it and we’ll see if somebody buys it. I’m going to try my hand at making some more, out of some light woods. I think a couple of watercolour clocks could be pretty great.