|Project by Jeison||posted 05-10-2010 02:52 AM||5568 views||10 times favorited||7 comments|
I started switching over to a cleat system, and since my old clamp rack (last picture) was starting to overflow, I decided it was a good first choice to update. I finished the main rack, still need to do a second one for the aluminum bar clamps, and a third for hanging the small clamps.
It was pretty quick to bang out, I used 1×4’s with a 45 degree bevel for the cleats (the “final” version will be made out of maple, I used 98 cent select boards for this, since then i wouldn’t be out much when I inevitably screwed something up when I wasn’t paying attention lol!
The rack itself I’m sure everyone has seen before, there are versions in every magazine, I set up the table saw to cut 1” deep, 1/4” wide dados, and made a simple indexing jig auxiliary face for the miter gauge, then ran a 3’ x 5” plywood piece through for the top section. Turns out that works for all my F-style and quick grip bar clamps, although in the next one I’m going to widen the spacing just slightly (the nice big grips on those HF clamps need a bit more space then I took into account) The back is 6” tall plywood, and then just screwed a matching cleat on and voila.
Heres the funny part. Last night I cut the cleats, then sanded and stained the ones that would be attached to the wall (like I said I plan to replace them with maple as I add more, but its always good to practice.) Then today when I went to mount them I realized….I sanded and stained the wrong side….facepalm
Well, better to mess up a .98 cent crap board then the expensive maple ones lol!
-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.