|Project by SRead||posted 05-06-2010 02:58 AM||2398 views||14 times favorited||20 comments|
Not exactly “fine woodworking” here, but the outdoor furniture takes quite a beating at our place so we just wanted something beefy and functional. As it is, it took me longer than the weekend I’d planned. With a 6-, 8-, and 10-year-old, I can only sneak an hour here and there to work on any elective projects. Plans came from a Better Homes & Garden publication, if I remember correctly. They used nice cedar, but that was more than I wanted to spend on these. I used good ol’ construction-grade doug fir for the painted parts and clear pine for the seats and backs. I actually spent extra time cutting the patterns out of Masonite first so I’d have a template to trace around on the wood (instead of affixing paper patterns to all the pieces) and also to use with the router and pattern bit. My main reason was that I wouldn’t have to worry so much about my so-so band saw skills. As it turns out, I got quite a bit of practice and wondered if it the extra effort was worth it. I suppose it will be if I ever make another set. When it came time for assembly, I realized I hadn’t allowed the fir dry out enough so I suffered a little twist here and there, which presented a few challenges. Now that they’re outside, though, nobody gives it the critical inspection I do on my projects and everyone enjoys them. Mission accomplished. Thanks for looking!