|Project by tyskkvinna||posted 05-06-2010 02:45 AM||3021 views||6 times favorited||41 comments|
I did this one somewhat recently. It was a design that I did once already as an inlay, but the design failed in the staining procedure – my woods were too similar and I used the wrong tint and it ended up so you couldn’t really see the difference. SOOoo, I opted for high-contrast.
I’m not actually sure what the dark wood is? I’ve had a few opinions on it. It’s way darker than any forms of Walnut I’ve found in stores/for sale. I asked the sawmill where I rescued it from and the guy actually doesn’t remember having anything like it.. haha. Mystery wood.
It’s 14 inches tall and on the widest part 10 inches wide.
I liked having the natural edge to it with the tree pattern.. very thematic.
Otherwise I’m going to admit I’m not particularly happy with this piece. Not sure why… but that’s just how it goes.
It’s been up in my shop for a while with lots of views and no takers. Just waiting for the right person I suspect – which is fine. I don’t mind sitting on something for months+ if it means eventually somebody who really loves it, gets it.
I’d love to come back to this design, eventually, but make it a bit bigger. My first attempt at it was bigger and there were some details in the leaves that looked nice.
I’m still amazed I got all those tiny bits. :-) It was kind of nerve-wracking.
For the curious – I did a v-carve on the dark piece of wood. Then I did a reverse v-carve on the maple. Glued them together and then nervously milled it off.