|Project by mkrok||posted 1570 days ago||1919 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
OK so here is my very first challenge entry. I thought the theme was very appropriate for the style of work I normally do. Which is solely making completly useless things out of garbage. For my friends and family who may read this, most won’t; this is the LumberJocks ””Nothing New But The Glue””:http://lumberjocks.com/msojka/blog/14995 challenge. Sponsored by Gorilla Glue.
I made these boxes from a pallet I pulled out of a dumpster back in early March. These were gifts for my friends – Steve, Brian, and Derek. Last weekend I was lucky enough to get a weekend off to hang out with them over on the Gulf Coast; and it was a blast. Thank you Suzanne, I love you.
I needed a box for the garage to keep some private material out of plain sight while on my workbench. So I decided to make some out of that nice pallet. I think the guys liked them and hope they put them to good use.
Lumberjocks read on, all others – Thanks for reading this and I will catch up with you on Facebook.
Thanks – I had to tell 2 stories. One for my friends and family who don’t care about my woodworking and those who do.
Pure dumpster dive, I have a trucking company in the same commercial complex as my shop. They transport cars for the snowbirds to Florida. They just chuck these beautiful pallets in the dumpster every day. I have an endless supply of nice clean pallet material walking distance. I usually go over there with the truck though.
The shop boxes are made from some kind of pine. The first photo is the entire pallet the night I got it. I’m so glad I snapped a picture before I cut the treads off. Each box is roughly 4”x 6” x 3 3/4”, but each one is unique. I fixed a finge that broke off of one wiht some walnut. One has a single peg in the lid. And one has the bottom lined with maple as well. Mine – You can’t see it in the pictures, but I got a kickback while ripping the walnut down for the lips. Sucker flew past my head and hit something behind me real hard. I eventually found the piece and it has a huge gash in it. I saved it for my box so I alway have a good reminder of how careful I need to be.
Each box is made from 2 of the treads. The sides are finger joints cut on the table saw with a standard 1/8” kerf. I like to call these finger joints, bigger than 1/8” I call them box joints. Yes, you counted right, I started with 5 boxes but I’m not that good, and one of them got away from me, turned into “test pieces”.
I used the gorilla glue on fingers and man does this stuff foam up. I’m sure I used too much, and the lable clearly states “DONT USE TOO MUCH”. But who listens to directions anyway. I also made some wood putty from the sawdust mixed with gorilla glue. I’ve done this with yellow glue before and this was a good opportunity to try it out with something else. I think it worked out OK, most of the gaps were filled and it dried dark like some of the grain.
The inside liner is recycled maple from my old bookcase I made a long time ago.
I used solid pallet material for the bottom so I made my own walnut pegs to join the bottom to the sides. The plugs at the top are purely decorative. The lid is made from the same material with a 3 sided lip of walnut. I like the lid because it doubles as a tray when removed from the box. Gives you a place to put things as you remove them from the box.
4 coats of Tung Oil Finish, buffed out with and old rag.
For me, the best thing about working with old pallets is the smell of fresh cut pine.
Thanks for reading – Michael
-- Michael, South Florida, http://www.MallardSolutions.com