LumberJocks

2nd project, bookcase for a birthday present

  • Advertise with us
Project by RickD posted 01-05-2007 10:46 PM 1378 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I started working on this about 2 years ago and was never able to complete it due to various circumstances. The carcas became a catch all in the garage. The only thing my wife wanted for her birthday this year was for me to finish this project and fill the niche next to the fire place. Here is the end result. I did all of the rips with a Ryobi 8-1/4” RA-200 radial arm saw, cut the miters with a Mikita 10” SCMS and applied the finish with a HF HVLP spray gun. The holes for the shelves were done with a rockler jig.

-- Rick, Southern California





10 comments so far

View Jon Spelbring's profile

Jon Spelbring

199 posts in 3002 days


#1 posted 01-05-2007 11:00 PM

Looks good!

Hey, wasn’t the RA-200 recalled for safety? Don’t want to see anyone get hurt.

-- To do is to be

View RickD's profile

RickD

8 posts in 2908 days


#2 posted 01-05-2007 11:14 PM

J,

It is true that it was recalled, I found out just recently. As a matter of fact I just recieved the $75.00 check for sending back the motor. That was part of the recall. I recently purchased a Ryobi BT3100 as a replacement.

Rick

-- Rick, Southern California

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

8693 posts in 3048 days


#3 posted 01-06-2007 12:29 AM

Welcome aboard, Nice birthday gift.
I wish I could get a new motor for my 1955 vintage Wards Powercraft Radial arm saw. Just burned it out a year ago. I made a lot of stuff with that old saw.

-- -** You are never to old to set another goal or to dream a new dream ****************** Dick, & Barb Cain, Hibbing, MN. http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/gallery/member.php?uid=3627&protype=1

View Jon Spelbring's profile

Jon Spelbring

199 posts in 3002 days


#4 posted 01-06-2007 12:33 AM

Rick,

If you’re a new BT3100 owner, you might want to take a look at www.bt3central.com
Good people there. I used the BT for awhile, until the temptation became too much, and I bought an Incra LS system (so, I NEEDED a new table saw, right??)

-- To do is to be

View RickD's profile

RickD

8 posts in 2908 days


#5 posted 01-06-2007 01:04 AM

Dick,

Have you though about trying to get that motor to a motor rewind shop?

-- Rick, Southern California

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

3994 posts in 3063 days


#6 posted 01-11-2007 10:55 PM

The bookcase looks pretty good RickD!

View Don's profile

Don

2603 posts in 2925 days


#7 posted 01-12-2007 12:01 AM

Rick, looks very nice. Welcome to LumberJocks.

Would you please give us more detail? What is the wood? What is the finish? (I’m assuming its lacquer.) Are you using sheet goods or solid lumber? Etc, etc.

-- CanuckDon "I just love small wooden boxes!" http://www.dpb-photos.com/

View Shawn's profile

Shawn

225 posts in 2902 days


#8 posted 01-12-2007 12:20 AM

Quite a nice catch all…it’s good to hear that a carcass can hang out in a garage long term with no ill effects…this proves positive for my wood working career…anways beautiful work man.

-- Cheers

View RickD's profile

RickD

8 posts in 2908 days


#9 posted 01-12-2007 07:51 AM

Hey Don,

Thanks for the compliment. The carcass and shelves are a birch plywood that I picked up at the local HD. The crown and other moldings are maple that I picked up at a local moulding manufacturer in the local area, and the plinth blocks are poplar. The finish was kind of complicated. The wife wanted this bookcase to match the cabinets in our kitchen. I took one of the doors to a little local place and asked if they could match it. They informed me they could get in the ball park, but because the cabinets were made and finsihed in Canada, EPA rules and regulations being what they are in the States, they would not be able to get an exact match. They were right, the stain they mixed up had sort of a cocoa color to it. I had to find a way to get some red in there to get the color closer to the kitchen cabinets. With a little experimentation I found if I sprayed on an initial coat of the stain they mixed up for me and let it dry. I then followed with a coat of minwax red mahagony stain. all stain was applied with a cheepo Harbor Frieght HVLP gun. After all of that dried I finished it up with a couple of coats of Valspar High Build Luster Lacqure. This was also applied with the HLVP sprayer. All stain and lacqure was applied while the unit was disassembled. This is a lesson I learned when I built it’s bigger brother on the other side of the fire place. Trying to finish it after it was assembled was an incredible PITA. The high build lacqure overspray would turn white and require much sanding to smooth out. If I get a chance I will send pics of the other side of the fire place.

-- Rick, Southern California

View RickD's profile

RickD

8 posts in 2908 days


#10 posted 01-12-2007 07:54 AM

Shawn,

Believe it or not, the carcass was in my garage for almost 3 years before I got around to finishing the thing up. As I said, the only thing the LOML wanted for her birthday was this project finished. She is happy, now I am able to get on to the other things I would like to try and get caught up on.

-- Rick, Southern California

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase