A "wild" project

  • Advertise with us
Project by AandCstyle posted 04-27-2017 03:24 PM 768 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Our DIL, Elizabeth, loves all things zebra. Recently, her father, Steve, found a print that she had to have. The challenge was that Elizabeth had acquired a similar print a few years ago and the frames needed to match because they would be hung in their family room.

So, LOML volunteered me to make the new frame. My solution was fairly straight forward, but getting the frame to be midnight black took some time. I applied 2 coats of black TT dye (1:16 in water), then 2 coats of Minwax ebony oil based stain with very light sanding between coats. I also was diligent in getting the mitered corners to meet at exactly 90*. The wood is cherry because it had to be fine grained.

The first 4 pix are my work and the final one is the frame I had to replicate. Thanks for looking.

-- Art

5 comments so far

View splintergroup's profile


2418 posts in 1419 days

#1 posted 04-27-2017 03:57 PM

Looks like success!
headlines read “Framing Art Frames Art”

I’ve never had good success with getting wood “black-black” by using stains or tints, I’ve always resorted to India ink.

Could be I’ve only tried it on poplar 8^)

Did you spline your miters?

View AandCstyle's profile


3177 posts in 2453 days

#2 posted 04-27-2017 04:21 PM


I got this process from Jeff Jewitt for a previous project and still had all the necessary ingredients. The TT solution left the wood almost the color of dark grape juice and the Minwax completed the job. Either one alone would be inadequate. I have never used India ink, but I know that works as well.

I reinforced the miters with dowels..

-- Art

View helluvawreck's profile


32087 posts in 3063 days

#3 posted 04-27-2017 06:31 PM

Art, you really did a nice job on this frame. Congratulations.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

View Alongiron's profile


649 posts in 2889 days

#4 posted 04-27-2017 10:25 PM

That’s a really nice looking frame. You can still see the tight grain beneath the black. The miters are spot on! Did you have to tweak your saw to get it dead on? You must have used some test pieces. Go job Art!

-- Measure twice and cut once.....sneak up on it! Steve Lien

View AandCstyle's profile


3177 posts in 2453 days

#5 posted 04-27-2017 11:47 PM

Charles & Steve, thank you.

I made a test cut on a wide piece of plywood scrap and decided that the MS was off by about a quarter degree. I had left the parts for the frame long intentionally and made a couple test cuts until they were exactly 45* according to my digital miter gauge. The process was a bit tedious, but much easier than some other things I have done, e.g. sanding louvers. :)

-- Art

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics