|Project by Jonathan||posted 05-01-2010 10:31 PM||2747 views||2 times favorited||8 comments|
Mint Julep, anyone?
Just finished attaching the handles to take this to a Kentucky Derby Party in a few minutes!
This serving tray, or drink tray measures 12-inches x 16.5-inches (plus the handles) x 2.5-inches tall and is made of wood species that are all native to Kentucky: 4/4 Walnut, White Oak (plywood for the tray section), and Maple (pockethole plugs), and a square Poplar dowel on the underside.
The pattern of the horseshoe and rose are woodburned into the white oak plywood. This pattern is a direct offshoot of this year’s Kentucky Derby logo.
I cut dadoes into the long sections of the tray to slide the 1/4-inch white oak plywood into. I then screwed the ends into the side pieces with pockethole screws, then plugged with maple plugs. I also glued up a 1/4-inch square poplar dowel under the left and right side to keep the middle of the plywood from bowing once the tray is loaded-up.
Finished with 2-coats of Zinsser Seal Coat (dewaxed shellac), then 2-coats of Minwax wipe-on poly. 0000 steel wool rubdown between all coats. The final coat of poly was left alone.
New techniques or tools used on this project:
-I used my new drill press for the first time on this project to drill the holes for the handles.
-First time using the Seal Coat. Great stuff, I just need to apply it thinner next time and not go back over it until it’s dry!
-First time using pockethole plugs. I tried cutting them off with a flush cut saw, but quickly realized it’d just be easier and produce a cleaner edge if I took a super thin layer of the walnut off and the plug ends at the same time. Of course, I had already sanded the walnut, so I had to resand after that.
Things I’d do differently:
-Thin coats of the Seal Coat. I’d also do another layer of wipe-on poly., but ran out of time.
-I got so anxious to get things put together that I started assembly without drilling countersink holes for the screws that attach the handles. I wanted to sink them into the side, but I wasn’t going to take everything back apart to do it. Should’ve changed the bit out for a forstner bit on each hole when I had the chance. Oh well, next time.
-Looking back on this, I would also cut a dado on the right and left side pieces to receive the tray section instead of having to glue a dowel underneath. This would be sturdier in the long run. I don’t know how much use this tray will actually see though. The next one I make will probably get a lot of use by the recipients, so it’ll need to be as strong as possible.
OK, I have to pack this thing up and take it to it’s new owners! It’s time to head to the races!
-- Jonathan, Denver, CO "Constructive criticism is welcome and valued as it gives me new perspectives and helps me to advance as a woodworker."