LumberJocks

Corner Display Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Project by JayCee123 posted 04-22-2017 03:08 PM 252 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I apologize for the quality of the pictures …. they are iPhone pics of original 4×5 photographs.
This was a commissioned piece done many years ago, its dimensions are over 7’- 6” high x 3’- 6” wide. It is a corner cabinet designed to display china and store silverware. It was based on a clients photographs and a few dimensions he had recorded when he saw the original piece during an antique hunting trip to Lancaster Pa. I had taken his photographs and dimensions, and was able to make working drawings, and after his approval the piece was fabricated and painted. The piece is a slightly muted pumpkin color, with maroon brown door frames, with dark blue and yellow highlights; the inside is painted out dark blue … jeeezzzz. Back then, I had a difficult time understanding why anyone would want to paint-out the grain of good lumber, but allowing a hint of the grain to filter through the color resulted in a very nice look.
The piece is constructed of solid wood and some plywood painted with several coats of latex paints and clear coated with a water based lacquer. When I first saw the color combination on the original, I was a little hesitant, but it was their piece, so I tried to duplicate the original colors as close as possible. By the time I had finished, it had actually grown on me.
The piece was made to separate at the waist molding into two major pieces. The shelving in the upper display unit had to be adjustable and lighting was provided in the roof of the cabinet and under each of the shelves. In the lower unit the shelve was adjustable, an extra shelve was provided just in case, a slide out tray was provided to hold their silverware collection box. The shelves were reinforced with a steel “Tee” section, since the anticipated weight was considerable. The panels and all moldings were cut on a router. The glass was cut and fitted to the upper doors with small quarter round moldings. The upper cornice molding provided just enough space to hid the power supplies. The “Rat-tail” hinges, which were new to me, required a bit of a search before finding a supplier. They also provided the contact point for the “touch” on/off for the lighting circuits.
The front of the cabinet turns back toward the intersecting walls on each side, and loose moldings where provided to help with installation. The Client had 9’ ceilings, with original plastered walls, which are never friendly to furniture built-ins :). The first couple of picture shows it in place in the Clients home, with some temporary dishes for stand-ins during the photograph. The last 3 picture shows the cabinet in its temporary holding place, which was my den that has 8’ ceilings … that’s another story :)





3 comments so far

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

2944 posts in 1901 days


#1 posted 04-22-2017 04:52 PM

Very nicely made and finished.

-- SAWDUST is THERAPY without a couch! just rjR

View jim65's profile

jim65

884 posts in 1567 days


#2 posted 04-22-2017 05:09 PM

big build, very nice!

-- Jim, Marostica Italy

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

4351 posts in 1900 days


#3 posted 04-22-2017 10:02 PM

That’s a very impressive cabinet!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com