|Project by mtkate||posted 04-29-2010 02:42 AM||2899 views||3 times favorited||15 comments|
I am continually enthralled at looking at Triumph1's Buddha Box – and had to branch out and try something on my own that was more than purely utilitarian.
Looking through the net – I found Wood Magazine’s Pagoda Box Plan (link below). I will admit – I did not buy it but I sort of based the box on it as much as possible.
This took me about 5 weekends of work (not including the hike to a wood store that carries cool wood). The last weekend was sanding. In leaving the lid raised it sort of also looks like an inukshuk….
I got too experimental and thought it was a great idea to make a thin stock maple and oak bottom. I should have made it in zebrawood. Lesson learned – keep it simple!
One of the sides cracked on the tablesaw when cutting the miter so I had to recreate but the rest of the cuts went OK. The box side cracked when I was over zealously clamping up the box but with filler and some right-colored paint it’s not glaringly visible. A few glue marks showing (I tried to tape down but the glue always seems to get you no matter what) that I only noticed after the finish but I am OK with it. It ain’t no Andy Art box… but give me 25 more years of practice….
Zebrawood, Walnut and Ebony for the rods… maple and oak as the box bottom. Finished with wipe-on poly. First time trying it. What a breeze.
Just in time for Mother’s Day!
Unfortunately, can’t enter it in the scrap content as I started it before the contest was announced so I have no proof of whence it came. Naturally, the pieces of wood were small. Keeping the knot in the walnut was a deliberate choice as well.