|Project by jeffswildwood||posted 04-17-2017 01:21 PM||728 views||3 times favorited||18 comments|
Here are two post office door banks I recently finished. Not the first time I have made these but so much different!. First, in the past I already had some planed and ready wood. Time to try something new. After acquiring a new toy, a DeWalt planer, (love it) and a half truck load of old barn/house lumber given to me by my nephew I went to work on these:
As each board passed through the planer I became more and more excited with what I found. I uncovered a beautiful board of some dark walnut and another of some gummy cherry. (Thanks to my LJ friends for help identifying it).
I then went to work on the boxes. The walnut was a joy to work with, cut nice and almost jumped together. Then came the cherry. It became one of those projects that just fights all the way through. First it is hard. Miters gave me a fight, assembly gave me a fight even the slot was tough. In the end I won and got it together and had two beautiful banks in two different styles!
This is the first time I build a project from raw wood to finished product. I really liked doing it this way and was definitely a learning experience. Both are coated with danish oil, two coats and the door cleaned with a mixture of ammonia and coke. Thanks for looking!
-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way thats says "I meant to do that".