|Project by Mark Wilson||posted 04-12-2017 08:20 PM||751 views||0 times favorited||19 comments|
In the comments of the Blog on this piece, Candy asked why VIMH proclaimed, after I blew the Lacquer on the bottom of the bowl, that it was a mistake. VIMH was fixated on the way the Lacquer streamed up the sides of the bowl. So was I, at first.
I had finished the outside of the bowl and was done with it. And now, it looked like I was going to have to re-finish it.
My first inclination was, of course to try, carefully, to remove those streaks. I went to the 400 sandpaper. No joy. The 320 seemed to knock it down, but the ghosts remained. Now, I really, really didn’t want to have to take it down to bare naked wood, and start over on the outside finish, at this late stage in the process. The problem with that notion is that what’s left of the foot (the erstwhile plinth, or tenon) couldn’t be trusted, if I had to remount it to re-finish the outside. (Note to those who know a lot more about Lacquer than I, at this point in time: It didn’t even cross my mind that there must be some way to remove the Lacquer from the bottom of the bowl while it was still in its un-cured state. I’ve been a Shellac man, almost from the start, and, had Shellac been the substance in question, it would have been almost automatic for me to simply grab the alcohol and wipe it off. Alas, my mind and VIMH had a moment adrift.)
That’s when I noticed that the streaks kinda looked like grass at the base of a tree. (What I’ve spent the last fifteen minutes trying to describe here took place, in real time, almost instantaneously.)
I turned my head, and saw my woodburning pen, where it sat, still cooling off. I turned it back on. I pulled out one of my carving knives and etched through the “streak ghosts,” to give the pen some guidance. This is nothing new – many’s the time I’ve seen such effects applied to turnings and other Things. The difference, if I’m not mistaken, is the way the concept barged into the space in my head and demanded to be heard.
So, there you have it. A little pyromaniacal cover-up of something that may, otherwise, have brought this piece to a frustrated end.
Briefly, now, a word about how I managed to not have to do a complete re-finish on the outside:
Instead of spraying the Lacquer on the bowl, while it spun on the lathe, I did this:
I got the burning done,
and removed it from the Longworth chuck.
I went digging around in the Dungeon for a box that I could turn upside down on the only thing I have to use as a Lazy Susan. There’s a kind of a pile of various boxes – some empty, some that I’ve used, over time, to store wet pieces of wood in shavings – in the area behind my router table. This is where I’m looking for a small box, to use as a platform for spraying. I found one.
I also found, in the search for a box, a chunk of Peach that I’d forgotten about. I sat it on the lathe and began cogitating on it, then, working on it, between the Lacquer coats outside. So, here’s how that looked. Think of it as a tease for the next Thing. It’s coming along quite nicely, I think.
Thank you. And, I apologize.