|Project by studiousmatt||posted 04-25-2010 05:26 PM||1653 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
this is a piece of book matched tiger maple that I had attempted to use as a veneer before I knew that you needed to balance the veneer with material on both sides of the substrate…
as a result the piece was warped to the point that it would not have worked to make the box top that I wanted to make. so I decided to try some wood dying techniques. I kind of tried to create a sunrise effect that would be kind an artistic piece. Although I am not much of an artist so to speak, I thought that it was fun and the effect created was really cool.
I used analine dyes, and finished it with General finishes gloss polyurethane. I sanded it down to 4000 grit wet sand. I then buffed it to a shine with menzerna polish. In the future I will use a laquer finish since it is harder and seems to sand an buff out a little better.