|Project by Chris Wright||posted 04-23-2010 08:51 PM||2136 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
So, here’s my entry for the “Nothing New But the Glue” challenge. I’ve turned a wood ring before, but this was the first time I tried the inlay. Starting with a piece of Bloodwood I had, I drilled a 1” plug out of it as a blank and attached it to a face plate to turn. After getting the shape roughed out the way I liked I turned the groove in to the center of the band about an 1/8” wide and about a 1/16” deep. I then took a strip of 1/8” maple I had left over from a previous project and sanded it down along it width to make it just over 1/16” thick by 1/8” wide. I used a piece of copper pipe I heated as a bending iron and steam bent the maple into a ring. I had to be careful while bending and wripping it to keep it from cracking. Trimming it to the right length was the next challenge. I didn’t want to trim it to short. I used making tape wrapped super tight around the whole ring as a clamp to hold the maple in place while the glue dried. The next day I finished turning the outside shape, the inside, then sanded to 600 and applied the finish. I used about 5 coats of thin CA glue to make a nice tough finish, lightly sanded that then polised it to give it the final shine. I made a jam chuck to sand and finish the end I cut off the face plate.
-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken