|Project by ScottM||posted 04-07-2017 02:24 PM||428 views||1 time favorited||12 comments|
A couple of boxes that I made over the past couple of weekends.
The first one is made of cherry with a curly ambrosia maple panel in the lid. It is 3/4” thick so I tapered the sides toward the lid to lighten it up a bit. The lid and box miters have maple splines. The cherry grain also wraps around the box. Sprayed it with a few coats of semi-gloss lacquer. Nothing special. I came across a piece of cherry a while back and had never worked with it before so I thought I’d give it try. Cherry works very nice.
The second box is based on a couple of boxes by SplinterGroup. I don’t think mine is in the same class as his! This is based loosely on the information provided in his blog series. It’s made of several different species.
The box body is sapele, the base is walnut, the lid frame is goncalo alves, and the lid panel and feet are koa. The lid was resawn and bookmatched, my first attempt at this. The lid miter splines are maple.
I think it turned out ok. One of the main differences in mine was making the base out of a solid piece instead of the G&G style of the originals. The lid opens just past 90 degrees. The hinge is a peice of stainless steel piano hinge that I had left over from another project. I’m not sure I really like how it looks since I sort of messed up the recess for it in the lid when I beveled the back edge. I also had a bit of tear out when cutting the “box joint” notches because I did not have the cuts backed up well enough. After I noticed it I added a better backer board and it went better. I was able to get most of the tear out to the inside of the box.
There was a lot more to this project than I first thought but it was a good skills enhancer, and fun, thanks to the info in the blogs.